Puerto Rico Here We Come!
We have been researching and researching and researching some more.
I’m, of course, talking about researching destinations for our move abroad. All of it was sprinkled with visits to each of the countries and then more research. But we finally did it, we made a decision and we’re moving to Puerto Rico!
Originally, this was supposed to be a five-year plan but circumstances with work and family have accelerated our decision. Here is the bottom line: life is too damn short to be miserable – wouldn’t you agree?
So, we made the decision to stop our search right here and right now and chose a country out of the ones we’ve already explored: Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, and Puerto Rico. We chose Puerto Rico for many reasons, but more on that in a minute. We, also, decided to put Ecuador on the back shelf, at least for now. Since, we have a very ill family member, we decided that being that far away is just not feasible for the moment.
So, we found a fully furnished and equipped apartment, on the beach, in Luquillo, PR and last week, we flew down there, signed the lease, hooked up internet, and moved half of our stuff. Yesterday, we both submitted formal resignations at our places of work – there is no going back now!
We are super happy, excited, nervous, and scared all at the same time. But we will be documenting the process and our life on the island, to help you decide if it may be a place for you too. We will soon be kicking off a website dedicated to life in Puerto Rico for gringos like us. So, stay tuned for more.
So, here is why we chose Puerto Rico for our new home:
1. No Federal Income taxes and other great tax advantages, see post on Taxes in PR – new tax haven.
2. Proximity to the family. This is especially important to us right now because of the family situation.
3. Local flights – no customs and easy way to get back and forth.
5. Super friendly people, see our post on Puerto Ricon People.
7. Healthcare and cheap insurance – ahhh, no Obamacare! – see post Healthcare in Puerto Rico.
8. An amazingly beautiful island with lots of Latin flare but still part of USA. Look at the pictures below and tell me if you can blame us – also see Puerto Rico Picture tour.
Enough said. Obviously there is a reason why Puerto Rico is called the “Isla de Encanto” – the enchanted island. I feel that we are very lucky to have this opportunity and will keep you posted on our developments.