That’s right! We’re Selling Our House!
Obviously, we do have some concerns about selling now – who doesn’t?
The slumping US real-estate market definitely gave us a pause but many experts say that it has bottomed out and things are improving. For example, yesterday’s article in The Wall Street Journal was encouraging (click below):
Our strategy for selling the house to move abroad is simple:
- List the house now.
- Ask for a price we are comfortable with – we’re not hoping to make a ton of money but a little to offset what we’ve invested would be nice.
- Stay realistic. We know that selling and getting a decent price may take a while. We are prepared for it. Even if it takes a couple of years, it’s OK. We have time.
- Rent – once our property has sold, we will move closer to work and rent until we are ready to move abroad.
We know that this plan will require some compromises. There are certain things we will likely have to give up. On the other hand, we will be gaining quite a bit too.
- Fenced-in yard for the dog.
- Total privacy.Nice deck with a large grill.
- Freedom to decorate and paint as we see fit.
- Major reduction in time we spend commuting to work.
- No more repair costs.
- Considerable savings of money on: taxes- transportation costs- repairs- utilities costs
The savings we hope to realize break down something like this:
|Gas and transportation costs||
|Total savings per month||
|Total savings per year||
Assuming we sell the house this year, we can take the savings for the remaining 4 years of our 5-year plan and have $45,600 extra to put toward our retirement cushion. That is a no-brainer for us. We must sell as soon as we can and move our plan to live abroad forward.
So, we are selling our house! Ready, set, sell!